The AirPods are a huge hit, but there are a few small issues that might disrupt your listening experience from time to time. There are a lot of people that have the same issues as you!
For this article, I had to go through a lot of detailed research since this is a common problem for people who use AirPods, and there are many possible explanations for it. It’s very uncommon for earbuds to change with an iOS upgrade. This is because Apple tends to concentrate on their newest product, so modifications to older versions are often disregarded in favor of the current.
What’s wrong with my Apple AirPods? Why does this happen?
Phone calls are a common cause of interruptions in people’s lives. You could be told, for example, that a caller is unable to hear you clearly or at all. AirPods and in-car Bluetooth systems may potentially suffer from this issue.
As a result, Apple provides a simple method for users to determine whether any of these criteria are present on their iPhones:
Playing noise cancellation via the ear speaker and microphone will be used to “check the device for probable causes of audio difficulties.” Even if you don’t encounter the problem after running this test, Apple believes your device is OK and offers suggestions for troubleshooting other applications and gadgets in your environment. Before retaking the exam, the notification instructs you to switch off all other devices in the room and do a troubleshooting exercise.
The Troubleshooting Steps for AirPods that are unable to connect to an iPhone
The most prevalent reasons for AirPods disconnection are Bluetooth interference and sensor difficulties. We’re certain that one of the following suggestions will help you resolve your issue.
Make sure you’re using the right software first.
- The AirPods 3 need iOS 15.1 or macOS 12.
- If you want to utilize AirPods Pros, you’ll need iOS 13.2 or macOS 10.15.1.
- On an iPhone running iOS 12.2 or macOS 10.14, you can only use the original AirPods 2.
Determine the battery’s capacity
Make sure your AirPods have a fair amount of battery life remaining in them before proceeding. If the power is shut down, you won’t be able to hear anything. You can see whether your AirPods are charging on your iPhone by following these simple steps:
- You may open the case’s cover while the AirPods are still inside and put the case next to your iPhone.
- A message will appear on your iPhone to show how much battery life you have left.
- Checking your iPhone’s battery status is also an option. Swipe left to right on the Home page before scrolling down.
- If you haven’t previously done so, scroll down till you see Edit, then tap on it and add the Batteries widget. It’s never too late to add a battery to your iPhone if you haven’t already.
The battery life of any Apple devices linked to your account will be shown in this widget.
Ensure that Bluetooth is enabled
- Ensure the Bluetooth capability on the device you’re using the AirPods is activated.
- Ensure the Bluetooth option is selected in the Control Center menu that appears when you open the app.
- Bluetooth may also be accessed through Settings > Bluetooth. You’ll see a green light on your device if Bluetooth is enabled.
It’s good to turn off Bluetooth and then turn it back on again, even if it’s already on.
- It’s time for you to press and hold the green Bluetooth switch in Settings until it becomes white.
- Before turning Bluetooth back on, a minimum of fifteen seconds should elapse.
The app will tell you that your AirPods are not connected, but as soon as you choose them as the source of your music, they should reconnect (see the next step).
Verify that your audio device’s settings are right
- Also, double-check that your AirPods are set as the default output audio device. Since the AirPods already know they’re in your ears, this may happen automatically, but just in case, here are the steps you need to do to get it to happen.
- On your iPhone, if you’re using AirPlay to stream music from your computer to your phone, hit the symbol that appears underneath the song’s name (if you have the channel selected).
From the available options, choose the AirPods that you want to utilize
When making a phone call, make sure that the AirPods option is selected from the potential audio options displayed on the screen.
It’s as simple as tapping the speaker icon while on a phone conversation to choose a different audio input.
You’ll have to unplug and then reconnect your AirPods
The AirPods are no exception to the norm that electronic equipment may be fixed by just “turning it off and on again.”
- Please wait 15 seconds before using the AirPods by putting them in their case and closing the lid.
- Flip the case’s top open and press the setup button on the back of the enclosure to begin configuring the device.
- After an amber flash, look for the light to become white.
- You can utilize this procedure even if the headphones aren’t your AirPods since they will have been reset.
- The only thing you need to do is hold your AirPods near your iPhone and make sure that your iPhone’s Bluetooth is turned on. Next, you’ll want to go through the iPhone’s setup options.
Reboot your AirPods to make any changes
The AirPods may need to be reset if the last method didn’t work, so you may need to try a fresh one. This is how you do it:
- Once the AirPods are in the charging case, screw on the top tightly to keep them safe.
- Continue to wait thirty seconds before opening up the container once again.
- The Bluetooth option on your iPad or iPhone may be used to find your AirPods in the list of connected devices. All of the gadgets in this section have a little I symbol next to them. A new page will open on your browser if you touch on this icon.
- Select “Ignore this device” from the drop-down menu.
- Hold down the “setup” button on the back of the gadget for fifteen seconds while keeping the lid open to evaluate the charges brought against the defendant. After then, the display should show a white flash after the amber one.
Clean your AirPods with a soft cloth
You may want to give them a thorough cleaning as a precautionary measure.
This procedure must be done very cautiously to avoid damaging the case or any internal components. We’ll cover how to clean your AirPods in a later article properly.
You should only use one AirPod at a time, please!
According to some sources, if you use one earbud, you may want to keep the other in the charging case.
Additionally, you can utilize one of the built-in microphones on your AirPods at any one moment.
- To pair your AirPods with your iOS device, open the Bluetooth settings in the Settings app and then choose AirPods from the list.
- After pressing the I button, choose the microphone from the drop-down menu.
- As long as Automatic is set, both of your AirPods will serve as a microphone simultaneously. However, you may change this to either Always Left or Always Right.
Turn off the automated ear detection function on your headset
This is another feature that you should disable to see whether it improves the performance of your AirPods.
- On the iOS device you’re using, go to Settings > Bluetooth.
- The Automatic Ear Detection function on your AirPods may be deactivated by clicking the information button and then deactivating it.
As soon as Apple detects that you are wearing your AirPods, this feature should begin sending audio to them instantly. However, you should double-check to see if there is an issue with how it operates.
Do not leave the paired state of your Watch
Apple Watch and AirPods may interfere with each other, so you may want to unpair your Watch and check whether the problem remains.
There’s no harm in unpairing any different Bluetooth devices you may have, just in case they interfere.
To avoid being tracked, turn off your iPhone’s Wi-Fi.
Nothing about this suggests a different conclusion. However, it has been reported that turning off Wi-Fi solved the audio problem for certain iPhone users. We have no idea why. In the following stage, we’ll look at possible interference caused by the Wi-Fi signal.
You can be experiencing poor audio quality because of interference from anything in your vicinity. This is possible. Few things listed below you can do to avoid it:
- No matter how far away your iPhone is from the issue, you’ll have to deal with it while talking on the phone.
- Don’t use wireless gadgets such as cordless phones, cordless microwave ovens, fluorescent lights, wireless video cameras (like baby monitors), and other wireless electronic devices.
- Make a place for Bluetooth on the 2.5GHz band by switching all devices capable of utilizing it to the 5GHz frequency.
For Macintosh users
You may check your Mac’s Sound settings in System Preferences to determine whether the problem is related to using the AirPods.
- The output device may be selected by going to System Preferences > Sound > Output.
- In the Input tab, do the same thing.
FaceTime and audio chats on your Mac are where you’ll hear people complaining that they can’t hear you or your voice isn’t crystal clear. Perhaps Bluetooth’s necessity to broadcast and receive audio is to blame. The application for video-conferencing is FaceTime. As a result, the sound quality may instantly swing from excellent to low fidelity.